[pure-silver] Re: Tri-X and other Kodak legacy products

  • From: <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jan 2012 12:17:54 -0700

I don't know. At one time Kodak made a metal 4x5 view camera. Eventually
their costs went up, so they raised the price. After a while even that
was not enough, so they sold the patent and tools to Calumet who made
and sold it for $75 if I remember correctly. Then Calumet's costs and
prices went up. I got mine for $125 new, and I think it doubled before
Calumet, with their lower overhead, gave up making it.

When I first started buying sheet black and white film, in 1974, I
guess, it was less than $50 for a 100 sheet box of 4x5. It is now way
more than that for a 50 sheet box. What will happen to demand when it is
$100 for a 25 sheet box?

 ^^-^^ 07:45:01 up 11 days, 15:11, 3 users, load average: 5.36, 4.99,
4.88

I have no doubt that Kodak WANTS to focus on digital.  That makes good
sense in today's market.  Yet in a total restructure any part of the
business making money, or can with a reorganization will be considered.
Its importance to the overall corporate vision will depend on how small
they have to get to survive.  Frankly it is my opinion that how small
that is will be directly related to how they do with the patent
lawsuits.  If they win their infringement suits in a reasonable time
frame, they may not need to be a small.

Which begs the question, where can Kodak go in the current digital
market and not face extremely tough competition with fine products at
fair prices?  That is a tough one.  Digital paper? Printers? Cameras?
About the only thing I can think of is a scanner and that leads one back
to film.  Cameras its going to be a very tough to break the Canon Nikon
grip.  Paper there are tons of choices.  Printers Epson HP and Canon are
going to be tough.  So where is their spot in the pie?  I honestly don't
see one.  It is where they have to be if they want to stay big, but I
don't see how they stay big and stay around.

Film they won't do nearly the volume, but there they can compete.  They
can compete with Ilford, and Fuji in the film markets, but they have to
carefully control costs.

You are absolutely right that demand drops as the price goes up.  I have
seen those 4x5's and they looked well built.  Just as when a car hits a
certain price point the volume drops its the same with anything else.
Selling things off is at best a stop gap.  Now they may start making
them in India, but they do need to make things.

Wonder what happened to the old Kodak high end digital bodies.  They
were I think 14 mp well before their time and you could get either a
Canon or Nikon mount.  I remember there were some problems with them,
but I not sure exactly what.  I seem to remember it might have been
color issues.