[pure-silver] Super Ikonta B

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2020 14:03:52 -0800

    I have a memory itch which I am hoping someone here can scratch. Zeiss-Ikon made a camera called the Super Ikonta, AKA Super Ikomat. This was a folding camera for 2-1/4 x 2-1/4 on 120 film. It featured automatic film winding and took 11 pictures on a roll of 120. What is bothering me is that I remember reading somewhere that there was a way of fooling the counter so that 12 pictures could be shot on a roll. I absolutely can not remember where I saw this. Maybe its not even true.
   I don't have one of these and probably never will. The Ikonta and Ikomat cameras were folding roll film cameras with front element focusing lenses. A couple, including the B had a very good rangefinder and were noted for taking very sharp pictures despite the compromises necessary to make a lens front element focusing.
   I have the instruction booklets for the camera (a couple of different ones are available) from Dick Butkus orphan camera site.
   FWIW, Voigtleander, who also made a variety of small folding cameras, used whole lens focusing, a different approach. I do have a couple of Voigtleander 35mm cameras but have never used them.

--
Richard Knoppow
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx