[pure-silver] Re: Storing exposed undeveloped 8x10 film

  • From: Ken Sinclair <photo1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 21 Aug 2011 16:33:51 -0600

Bogdan

Over many years, I bought many boxes of 4x5 foil/plastic 'envelopes' that were marketed by Kodak. I believe that their purpose was for long-term preservation... although I used them as 'holding bags' for temporary storage of exposed films, removed from the 'used' film holders in my dark-box. I cannot say that I remember ever arriving home any 'scratched' negatives.

I fold over the top and 'seal' the envelope (temporarily) with tape. But.... I have also used these envelopes for long term storage of measured amounts (5 to 80g) of dry photographic chemicals... with the opening
sealed with tacking iron

I believe there is a company still selling photographic archiving products that carry a similar product
that will take numerous sheets of negatives.

I will do a search later this evening when I can get some 'free to browse time'

Ken

On 21-Aug-11, at 3:46 PM, Bogdan wrote:

Hi All,

I'm leaving next week on a 14 day road trip into the northern Quebec taiga (54°N). Amongst other things, I plan on bringing my 8x10 Deardorff. I have 10 8x10 film holders and I plan on shooting Tri-X 320 and Fuji Provia 100 colour reversal film. I want to shoot more than the 20 sheets that will be loaded into the holders. I was thinking that once the film has been exposed, I could remove it from the holders and insert new film. Problem is, how do I store the exposed undeveloped 8x10s. I was thinking of using an old 8x10 film box (3 boxes in one and black plastic envelope) but does each sheet have to be separate from the other when they are in the black envelope. Is there any danger of the sheets of film sticking to each other???? or should I put a sheet of 8x10 paper between each sheet of film. Worse comes to worse, I could insert each sheet of film into a separate plastic 8x10 neg holder used to store developed film.

Is my solution viable? Anybody been in a similar situation and how did you solve the problem? I'm open to all suggestions. Thanks.

Cheers,
Bogdan

Quando omni flunkus moritati (R. Green)