[pure-silver] Re: Stainless Steel Trays

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, allenz01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 20:24:27 -0500 (EST)

From: Allen Zalsman <allenz01@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Stainless Steel Trays
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 18:21:45 -0600

> I have a question about stainless steel trays. There is a restaurant
> going out of business, and they
> have a lot of trays and deep pans.  Are these good for doing black and
> white developing of film and paper?

Stainless steel is not a definite material, and the answer is
complicated. Unless you know for sure that the trays are made from
high corrosion resistant stainless steel containing sufficient
chromium, there is only testing can tell. If you see any sign of rust
from salt, vinegar, high temperature steam, whatever, it's probably
not the highest quality material.

Personally, I'd rather use those SS pans and trays in kitchen.  I
don't know what kind of restaurant it is, but if you can find a triple
mesh extra fine chinois strainer of 10" or larger diameter cheaply,
those are the things you want from fine restaurants... or I want,
rather...

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."