[pure-silver] Re: Sorry, that's Antique developer ,Metol et al.....l

  • From: "Steven Kershaw" <stevendidit@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 May 2008 22:33:17 -0700

Bogdan,

Metol was/is a very fine grained "soft" developer well suited to contact
papers.  T'was quite slow and really required toning to achieve real
archival permanence.  If my memory serves me right it gave a rich purple
tint that when selenium toned took on a deep blue/black If you only toned it
lightly you could achieve archival parlance but it would retain a hint of
the purple, a very rich subtle coloration.  Problem was consistency,  if you
didn't get an even light toning you were left with a blotchy print and you
wouldn't know for sure until the print had "dried down".  If you had large
areas of shadows and detail it could really mess with the image.  Still, it
was fun to play with.

Steven

Steven Kershaw, CPF

Owner,