[pure-silver] Slightly OT: Lens Scratches

  • From: Charlie Thorsten <charlie_thorsten@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2004 15:46:19 -0800 (PST)

Things have been a little quiet so I've got
a question for all the lens/optical/LF gurus
out there.  How important are coating scratches
on the rear element of a large format lens?
Will they affect sharpness more than on the
front element?  I'm not talking about deep
scratches into the glass...more like coating
scratches that won't clean off.  I've seen
many lenses for sale that have this "flaw".
But is it really that serious from a practical
image-quality standpoint?  Thanks!

-Charlie