[pure-silver] Re: Silverprint developers

  • From: Jeffrey Thorns <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2006 06:14:06 -0700

Yes, quite right. My bad.

Just to avoid confusion in this thread, I think this refers to our Digitaltruth Silvergrain developers (not Silverprint, which is a UK retailer).

Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 19:23:24 -0700 From: Jeffrey Thorns <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx> Subject: [pure-silver] Silverprint developers

I finally had the chance to try out the SilverPrint paper developers.

I put out two trays, one of each developer, 1:9 dilution. I tried
them on two papers - Ilford MG RC VC Warmtone and Agfa MCP 310 VC RC
(a neutral/cool paper). I produced a 'nice, normal' print via the
Silverprint Neutral developer, then exposed another piece of paper
identically, and souped it in the Standard (warm) developer.

My initial, very unscientific impressions are;

The Standard developer is slightly more active, producing a print
that was, perhaps, a quarter stop darker.

I found very little difference in warmth between the two developers.
My Agfa paper is rather old, so it may not have been the best paper
for a rigorous test.

It may be that these two developers have more of a tonal difference
when used with fiber-based papers.

They both seemed to remain quite active, even after sitting out for
several hours.

I'll have to use them more to get a better feel for them.