[pure-silver] Re: Silver Nanoparticles May Be Killing Beneficial Bacteria In Wastewater Treatment -

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 13:26:01 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Snoopy" <snoopy@xxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, April 30, 2008 2:27 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Silver Nanoparticles May Be Killing Beneficial Bacteria In Wastewater Treatment -

Dear Peter,

more than 30 years (I mean really: in the early 70's). ago I was told by my city council's environmental folks that I should please recycle my used fixer so that I do not kill off the bacteria in the water recycling plant.

It is really surprising for me to read that in the US this is still "only" a "theory" (may be killing benign bacteria). I presume the matter is resurfacing because the use of silver is now going up again?? I would think that the last ten years saw less and less silver solutions being dumped and now things are changing again. Antibiotics, desinfectants and poisons will kill anything in sight be it bening or malevolent (except those bugs which are resistant).

Offtopic #1:
The water works in Munich use South American electric eels to monitor the water: they emit electricity at a certain frequency which changes as soon as the fish detect toxins in the water. They are a lot more sensitive than sensor technology.

Offtopic #2:
Visiting a waste water recycling plant is a very memorable experience. Highly recommended. What stuck in my mind most is the machine which stirs resp. whips the sh?t, I mean human faeces into the water, it's the size of a house and I mean a respectable house. Lends a whole new meaning to phrases like "the sh.. hit the fan" etc. etc. :-)

Love,
Snoopy

<http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/04/080429135502.htm>
--

I have not read whatever the link points to but the effect of silver is well known. Its pretty easy to recover a large part of the silver from amateur darkroom operation with simple equipment. Large processors, like motion picture labs, recover silver both for environmental reasons and because its economical. The value of the recovered silver is quite high plus it extends the life of the processing chemicals. Even wash water is is processed for re-use. A Google search will find information on methods of silver recovery and equipment for doing it at all levels of volume plus places that buy recovered silver. Nearly all the silver used in color film can be recovered from the processing solutions since the silver image is an intermediary for the color image and all silver is removed from the film or print.

---