[pure-silver] Sepia Toning and archival storage

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Pure-Silver <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 08:41:01 -0400

Hi all,

I am the person who originally raised the question about the Sepia Toning, the fact that Kodak had discontinued "Sepia Toner" and now only "Sepia II Toner" was available.

Problem solved for now. Somewhere along the line, I remembered that I had bought the last two packets of Sepia Toner in one of the photo stores I frequent. I used that to finish my toning and, in the future, will be buying my own chemicals and mixing my own Sepia Toner using the formulas that were submitted to the group. Most interesting and knowledgeable discussion of the various different kinds of Sepia Toner formulae, of which I have taken a note and will be experimenting with in the future. Anyway, the members of this list are great. Thanks all.

One last question. Do I still have to treat the prints in Selenium solution for archival reasons. I usually use Selenium 1:9 at 8-10 minutes to alter the print, but just for archival purposes, I imagine a more dilute solution and shorter time would be sufficient. I seem to remember 1:20 and 3 minutes. Is this correct? For archival conservation what would be considered a sufficient dilution?

Again, thanks to all who contributed.  I learnt a lot about Sepia Toning.

Cheers,
Bogdan
  Bogdan Karasek
  Montréal, Québec            e-mail: bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx