[pure-silver] Re: Selenium followed by T-8 Polysulfide

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 14:49:41 -0500 (EST)

From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Selenium followed by T-8 Polysulfide
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:01:10 -0800

>     Some time ago a posted a couple of formulas for
> combining KBT and KRST. One formula was from a Kodak
> publication, the other from a magazine article, the latter
> appeared to be the actual Polytoner formula. However, Ryuji
> Suzuki tried at least one of these and found that it caused
> immediate and deep staining of the prints treated in it.
> Presumably, the formula for one or both of the commercial
> products had been changed since the formulas for combining
> them were published c.1955. At the time Polytoner was not
> yet available. I will repost the formulas if anyone is
> interested but won't here since they evidently don't work
> anymore.

Those formulae are still here:
http://silvergrain.org/Photo-Tech/toners.html#t019

I didn't update the page since I tried all sorts of things and nothing
worked with new bottles of KRST. (All formulae posted there worked
with KRST from 1990's.) I also haven't posted my selenium-polysulfide
toners anywhere, except for offlist information exchange with a few
people.  Cor Breukel tried it with enthusiasm and obtained good
results with the toner, though he had trouble with staining of some
paper stock. (This is a common problem with many polysulfide based
toners. Fresh liver of sulfur and minimizing oxidation of the solution
often helps but not always. Other cases remain unresolved.)

I hope companies like Formulary makes up my toner solution and sells
it so that I don't have to make it myself. The selenium part is quite
similar to many indirect selenium toners, except more sulfide is used.
(If sulfide is not enough, selenium seems to precipitate out of the
toner solution after mixing with liver of sulfur.)  Liver of sulfur is
readily available and is inexpensive. This is said to be the sole
ingredient of KBT. So, for those who want to use combination toner
without the trouble of handling selenium powder, it may be possible to
buy an indirect selenium toner kit (if such things are still make and
sold) and KBT and mix them.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."