[pure-silver] Re: Safelight Tests (was Kodak OC/OA filters)

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2008 12:13:46 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Adrienne Moumin" <photowonder2010@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, August 29, 2008 10:18 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Safelight Tests (was Kodak OC/OA filters)

Being of the inherently lazy persuasion, I often find that I don't need to understand every nuance about WHY something works, but only the sufficient amount of understanding to make sure that it DOES work. (ouch, stop pelting me with bottles full of chemicals, you guys!)

That being said, here're a bunch of links on testing your safelight to see if it's really "safe":

http://www.kodak.com/global/en/consumer/products/techInfo/k4/k4TestSafelite.shtml

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Test-your-safelight

http://www.steveanchell.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=33&Itemid=98

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/tl_safe_lights.php

I have found that if there's just a bit *less* light than is needed to walk safely around the room, it is safe for paper. So I may end up crippled, but at least my paper won't be fogged!

Ilford also has a test method on its web site. The Kodak and Ilford tests take into account the slight sensitizing effect of safelight exposure. Just laying a coin on the paper and leaving it under the light may not show up fogging which will veil the highlights of an actual print. Some safelights, like the Kodak bee-hive type, is that you can point them where you want the light. You don't really need a lot of light on the processing trays since judging prints under the safelight is misleading at best so get the light were you need it to navigate. I have a small darkroom but have two lamps. One is over the enlarger and is connected to the print timer so that it is off when the enlarger is on. This is not so much to prevent fogging as to allow better visual examination of the projected image. At the moment my other lamp is a large Kodak lamp pointed at the ceiling. This gives rather dim overall illumination but enough to keep me from bumping into things. If you work with color you will find the safelights similar in visual color to the OC but very much dimmer. The are probably better than total darkness for navigation but you need to be quite systematic about where things are. One advantage of a small darkroom is that you can't get too lost in it.:-) BTW, one of the problems with examining prints in the developer is that the emulsion of many papers lowers the visual contrast until they get into the fixing bath. Even a very bright safelight would not show the print as it will be.