[pure-silver] Re: Reciprocity and Intermittency Effects in Enlarging Paper

  • From: "Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 2008 23:23:50 -0500

"Jacques Augustowski" <py1hy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
All my books are wrong!!

Well, it is a general tautology that everything one knows is wrong...

- but -

There are R&I effects, they just don't happen to any significant
amount in the normal run of things - either in the darkroom or in the camera. One shouldn't be surprised that the emulsions are designed to be well behaved in the normal exposure range.

All I can say is try it yourself.  With a good timer and meter,
of course.

With a GraLab or Time-O-Lite clockwork timer and an Analyte
or EM-10 meter things aren't going to work so well.  A GraLab
used for progressive teststrips is going to require a second
confirming exposure for critical work.  Using an Analyte to
trade off time and intensity over any significant range is an iffy proposition at best. Even some digital timers are pretty crappy when it comes to accuracy and repeatability. Such are the reasons I got into the darkroom electronics business.

==
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC
Cleveland, Ohio 44121