[pure-silver] Re: PureSilver was good, but...

  • From: "Stein" <rstein@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2006 07:00:33 +0800

Dear Eric,

I was disturbed to read that you find us a courteous group of photographers - in my experience this is almost never the case. Many the time I have stepped over wrestling bodies in the street outside the local camera store with a crowd ringed round calling out encouragement. Gosh, every park that caters to wedding photographers has at least a dozen camera fights ( A Bronica on the end of a nylon strap makes an efficient morning star. And cheap these days. Watch out for monopods) as pros vie for the best backdrops.

Can we be doing something wrong? Have we neglected each other? Should we be snarling more?

Can it be the time and temperature of the darkroom soothes out some of the stress of the studio? Locked away in the dim red or amber with a negative and a bottle of rum...."Can't come out, Dear....intensifying the characteristic curve for at least the next hour. The gamma is up to 8.2 and I need it at least 9.4 before the anionic dodging takes effect. Do we have any lemons and hot water?"

Or perhaps we are the "negative" of most other net groups and react in an opposite fashion - distance makes us more pleasant and polite instead of removing our normal inhibitions and allowing us to abuse strangers.

Perhaps we should all set aside a part of a day - say September 13 or o - and write a stinging criticism of someone. This year it will be Richard Knoppow, but next year it can be me or you. The recipient of the roasting is allowed to burst into tears and then make copies of all the emails and send threatening letters to the list. And then adjourn to the darkroom and try to get a perfect 50 x 70 print from a 110 negative....

Uncle Dick