[pure-silver] Re: Pure Silver Negative Exchange

  • From: "Eric Neilsen Photo" <ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 09:02:54 -0500

It seems an interesting experiment, but why worry about it being 4x5?

What is it that you are trying to see? The performance from another persons
score. If the score is well written, it comes with dynamic marking, meter,
and a complex arrangement of voices that are mostly clearly marked. Are you
going to limit it to a specific paper and developer? tones? Those would be
the interpretation of the conductor to me. We have all seen the quote over
the years, but how literal was it meant? He was an accomplished pianist too,
so I suspect a little more than just a casual interpretation.

Most of us don't write down our composer notes until we're done and they
come across in the visual image with the exception of dodge and burn notes.
So are you going to play the piece with just the printing notes? or with a
recording of the composers performance?

Look at the negative size as the concert hall; you typically don't fit a 100
piece orchestra on a stage meant for a quintet. So you may not sound so good
if you try and play a piece written for a full orchestra but can really be
expressive in a baroque fugue.

My input would be to send out any damn score you normally write and see how
others [perform it; no limits ( except paper size to accommodate shipping).
I played French horn in the SF Bay Area paying and non paying gigs; numerous
performances including Principle Horn with California Youth Symphony.

It is an art, let the performance begin.

Eric Neilsen
Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226