[pure-silver] Re: Pure Silver Gelatin Print Exchange 2009

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jan 2009 20:24:13 -0500

Hi all,

This is an auspicious start to the beging of 2009... will be a good vintage ..... we now have 2 print exchange groups. Just the fact that i have two deadlines ( + two other ones with a friend) twice a year in PSPE, helps me keep my focus on one thing for a period of time. I know that I have darkroom work to do. It's all nice and dandy being creative but you have to go and do it. And, very importantly, I am "exposing" yourself to fellow photographers who can also appreciate the technical dimension of the work and any technical critique will be based on a working knowledge of that technique, people who know what they are talking about. Makes it different than when your print is hanging a a gallery space. There, the "voyeurs" are different.

And another thing that I noticed (this is my second PSPE) is that I am also seeing what the other person, who is seeing my print, is doing. Yesterday, I paired up the prints from this past PSPE and the previous one. I noticed that there threads, commonalties, I don't know what to call it yet, but there are certain pairs that draw my attention as pairs. I want to have a longer go at this, maybe just my imagination.....

And I get to see some great photographs....

Anyway, Elias, hope you get six more members to join your group. I think ten is a good manageable size.

All the best,
bogdan

Elias Roustom wrote:

Greetings all,

Another print exchange is being conducted and we need members. We have 4, and we'd like 10. Anyone interested in joining, please apply to sign up at the following Google group:
http://groups.google.com/group/psgpx
I have it set up as a Google group so I can easily control the number of participants at a max of 10.

I hope we'll get more participants, as it is always rewarding to share work with fellow enthusiasts, and there really isn't anything like a deadline, and chance to learn from what others do, to get the creative juices flowing. For tinkerers like me, having a point to my time in the darkroom is always helpful.

Here's a description of the exchange's rules and schedule:

Any silver gelatin based image up to 8x10 can be entered. Prints are due Vernal Equinox*, or March 20, 2009. Each participant will edition his/her print to the number of participants - in otherwords, if there are 8 of us in the group, each participant will make 8 prints (an extra print or two for unforeseen circumstances is always welcome). Each participants will mail their entire edition to me (at the address below) and will include postage** in (or over) the amount required to mail the package to me. I will collate and assemble packages for distribution to the members. This will make it so the prints can be be presented uniformly (and hopefully attractively) to the whole group, and the group will have the opportunity to enjoy the experience all at once - it also saves on packaging and shipping.

* http://www.timeanddate.com/news/holidays/vernal-equinox-2008.html
** International participation is not discouraged. We can work something out.

Thanks,

Elias Roustom

 Bogdan Karasek
 Montréal, Québec                     bogdan(at)bogdanphoto.com
 Canada                               www.bogdanphoto.com

                    "I bear witness"