[pure-silver] Re: Processing expired film

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 2020 18:15:59 -0700

   Don't add time. What happens to film when it gets old is that it gets foggy. Increasing development time will just make it foggier. The amount of fog depends on the film, its speed, its age and how its been stored and other factors. A medium speed film like 100-T Max is not likely to be very foggy. If you have a habit of shooting film at less than its box speed the extra exposure will help compensate for the fog. Uniform fog simply makes the printing density a bit greater, i.e. longer print exposures, but can also reduce shadow contrast which the increased exposure will tend to compensate.
   I have stressed in the past that the ISO method of measuring speed is designed to give you the highest speed consistent with good shadow detail but increasing the exposure by even a couple of stops will not injure the tone rendition of most film, in fact, it will probably improve it.

On 6/11/2020 4:39 PM, Janet Gable Cull wrote:

I wanted to practice shooting my Hasselblad handheld and had some very old expired Tmax 100 film I used. The massive developing chart says 9 1/2 minutes in d76, 1:1. Shouldn't I add time to that because of the age of the film? How much time? It expired in 2003. Wish me luck. 🙄

Janet Gable Cull
Sent from my iPhone

--
Richard Knoppow