[pure-silver] Print Swapping. The Next Step

  • From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2005 06:30:10 -0400

   Hello,

   I think there has been sufficient interest to move on to the next step.

   Before I go on to explain how I think we should proceed, I would
first simply like to explain the purpose of print swapping. There are
two reasons for joining the list of people who wish to swap prints:

       i) To receive wonderful prints from fellow photographers
      ii) To discuss, encourage, critique and learn

    I want to keep the barrier to entry as low as possible. Everyone
should feel like they can contribute and that their print is just as
worthy as everyone else's.

   I understand that there are a few of you who do not wish to have
their prints critiqued. That's perfectly valid and I have a plan to
take this wish into account.

    When I speak of critique, I am not speaking of the type of
critique you would see in your morning newspaper or magazine. By
critique, I am speaking of advice. When you critique a print, you
should be thinking "what can I tell this person to help him/her
improve their print" and as well "what do I see in this print". So I
am not looking to see, "Justin, you suck, I suggest you sell all your
gear". But instead, "from where I sit, I see a print that may work
better if you had cropped from the tree, dodged the giant elephant and
burned in the clown a little more and buy yourself a bottle of
spottone". Suggestions on how to improve.

    Also realize that everyone is at different levels in their
photography. Keep that in mind when critiquing. We are looking to help
everyone improve.

    You may use any size film and any size paper. I have sent 11x14's
and it cost me a freaking fortune. So I suggest 8x10's. But that's
entirely up to you.

    FB or RC, Lith, whatever. Again, entirely up to you.

   As for packing, there have been some fantastic suggestions some of
which I plan to follow, others that I think are over the top. Just
remember that you are responsible for the taking of the image,
printing of it and insuring it arrives in good order. Again, I leave
all that up to the individual.

   When you send your print, please include a small note with your
name and address, where the image was shot, how, what developer etc.
How much or little info you leave is up to you. Also, if you do not
wish for your print to be critiqued, please add that to your note.

   I ask that you send a minimum or one print every FOUR months. You
may send more if you like. Send your prints when the mood strikes you.
If after four months, I have not received a print from you, I will
notify you and take you off the list. You can re-join after you send
your print to the current list. This puts you back in good standing.

    I tried to create a mailing list on freelists.org but it appears
they are accepting only technologically based lists. So I created a
list on my server instead. The system is Majordomo based.

    To join the list, send a email to majordomo@xxxxxxxxxx and in the
BODY of the message put: subscribe pspe  If you have a signature or
anything else, remove it or follow the subscribe command with a 'end'.

    subscribe pspe
    end

   Then, send me your mailing address to jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx I will
then add your name and address to the distribution list. The list will
be on the web and I will post the URL and username/password to access
it.

   When your print is ready to send, look up the list of people to
send to and voila, start mailing.

   I think that covers it. If you have any questions regarding joining
the list, PLEASE SEND IT TO ME PRIVATELY. Once you get onto the list,
please post questions regarding PSPE to the list. I want to keep it
separate from pure-silver. I think that's best for everyone.

   So there you go, I hope you all join and I really look forward to
seeing your work.

   Let the swapping begin!

--=20
Justin F. Knotzke