[pure-silver] Re: Pinhole photography using directly scanned photographic paper.

  • From: BertS <aasainz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 13:55:20 -0500

I recall that this trick was recommended to determine printing time.

Dunk paper in developer, wipe off excess developer and expose. The image would start gray and darken. Eventually the image would turn black. The time it took to turn black was the time it needed to be exposed. This worked for graded paper, not for variable contrast.

Then clean up the mess on the baseboard.

Bert

Richard Knoppow wrote:

I have had some success in getting a self masking effect with conventional paper when enlarging by soaking it in developer before exposing it under the enlarger. The limited amount of developer which is absorbed in the paper means that the maximum black that you will get under the enlarger is constrained. I think this is a tip I got from and old book on using paper negatives, but as I haven't completely unpacked after our move back to Ireland, I cant check it at the moment.
All the best
Larry Cuffe

I had forgotten this old trick. It does work. I don't remember the title of the book I first saw it in, it was not about paper negatives but was about tricks in photography. I am pretty sure it was published by the American Photographic Book Publishing Co. of Boston, who also published _American Photography_ magazine, a great bastion of pictorialism from about the mid-1920s until the early 1950s, when it died. This company published a lot of good books on photography during this period. They also published the _American Annual of Photography_. I have a collection of both the mazine and some of the annuals but all are in storage.