[pure-silver] Re: Photos found at garage sale worth 25 cents...

  • From: Laurence Cuffe <cuffe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2010 12:39:20 -0700 (PDT)

On 02 Aug, 2010,at 09:26 AM, Lloyd Erlick <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

At 06:55 PM 8/1/2010 , you wrote:
>#4 in the series, a small boat in a harbor,
>http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/2010/07/27/128805438/adams
>is decidedly non-Adams. He did take portraits, but when he took
>pictorial pictures they never included people. He commented to
>Bradford Washburn "Why do you always put people in your photos?
>It spoils them." - said in jest (at least half in jest).
>http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2003/10.09/06-washburn.html
>Nicholas O. Lindan

I like the AA quote about people. However we should not be too hasty in dismissing these pictures on aesthetic grounds, based on the work we are most familiar with. One should look at the larger body of his work. An interesting source is the National Archives Collection,

    AA in the US national Archive

as this has not been heavily edited and in consequence gives us some images which might be regarded as �outtakes� supporting the thesis that not every image he created was an absolute work of genius.

It has also been suggested that he never included people in his photographs,  however this collection contains numerous examples where people are included, for instance

http://www.archives.gov/research/ansel-adams/images/aaw27.jpg

    cave picture

Finally his work in Manzanar (a google image search will pick this up) includes many examples of photographs containing people at all points from the foreground back to the horizon.

All the best

Laurence Cuffe

August 2, 2010, from Lloyd Erlick,

Thank you for that! A detail I never heard before.

My attitude is completely the opposite.

Along these lines, there is a wall on the lower level of a subway station I
frequent here in Otnorot. It's directly across from one of the passenger
platforms, and it is huge. From track level to ceiling, maybe twenty feet
high and fifty feet long. For the last millennium it has had some sort of
covering on it, but recently it was stripped off down to the bare concrete.
It is extremely dirty and consists of nothing but smears and stains ranging
from soot black to darkest gray. As soon as I saw it the first time I
wanted to use it as a backdrop to portraits. All it needs is a huge bank of
north facing windows installed beside it.

I can't help looking at the world as a backdrop.

regards,
--le