[pure-silver] Re: Paterson FX-50?

  • From: Jordan Wosnick <jwosnick@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 21:18:36 -0500

I tried FX-50 a few years ago, and was not impressed. For some reason I got a lot of fog with it, and I found it to be quite expensive.

There are a few options for those who want XTOL-like developers without the risk. Bill's formula looks interesting; there is also Ryuji's formulae (DS-10, DS-12, etc.) and Gainer's formulae (PC-TEA).

Lately I've been using the following formula as a direct replacement for MYTOL (which in turn is meant to be a direct replacement for XTOL). It is similar to Bill's formula but uses the more easily obtained ascorbic acid (instead of sodium ascorbate).

*Instant MYTOL*
Start with 750 ml water
60 g sodium sulfite (anhydrous)
11.5 g ascorbic acid
0.15 g phenidone (pre-dissolved in alcohol to aid dissolution)
13.4 ml triethanolamine
Water to 1 L

Use as you would XTOL -- I'd appreciate comments on this formula.

Jordan

BILL WILLIAMS wrote:
For those of you that mix your own film developer:

I gave up XTOL developer several years ago.  I instead
mix my own ascorbate developer and usually just enough
to handle the amount of expose film I'm ready to
develope.  I know that there are many Vitamin-C
developers readily available, but I think this is the
most simple one I've ever used.  As I indicated, I mix
only what I need, but it should keep well if you want
to mix more.

    LSD   (Low Sulfite Developer)

Water(I use tap water)     750 ml
Sodium Sulfite (A)          30 grams
Sodium Ascorbate (powder)    8 grams
Phenidone (1% solution)      5 ml

Water to make                1 liter

-------------------------------------
The Phenidone is a 1% solution using 70% alcohol.
The Sodium Ascorbate Powder is found in Vitamin
Stores, it is distributed by Bronson.
There is no sodium carbonate, no borax, no metaborate.
 Just the sulfite.   Ph is about 8.3.

I only mix 250 ml at a time for 35 mm, 500 ml for 120.

I develope modern t-max and delta type films for 11
minutes, older films for 10 minutes.  The one time I
tried using it on FOMA 35mm film however, it was over
developed.  I haven't tried FOMA in this developer
since.

The grain is extremely fine and smooth, and both it
and the acutance seems to me to be better than XTOL. You pick up a little film speed. Of course, your
mileage may vary.   About 10 cents for developer per
36 exposure roll of 35 mm.

This formula will NOT work with metol substitued for
the Phenidone.  I believe the pH is too low for metol.