[pure-silver] Oriental VC RP

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2005 02:23:34 -0400 (EDT)

Someone gave me sample boxes of Oriental VC papers in both resin
coated and baryta bases. In relation to the recent thread I was
curious to try the VC RP-F first.

The paper gave neutral black to slightly cool black in a standard
print developer. This paper did take longer time to develop to
completion, compared to AGFA and Forte papers. In my standard
developer, AGFA MCP develops to completion around 60 seconds and so I
typically give 90 seconds to develop. This paper was still developing
density at 60 to 90 second, so I gave 120 seconds. This is in
agreement with other reports in the previous thread.

The paper responded to dilute polysulfide-selenium toner to produce
neutral black and purplish black, then to a bit warmer brownish side
of purplish black. The range of hue shift was narrow compared to AGFA
but it always preserved rich blackness even with the purple and brown
overtone. So I thought this paper would be a good paper for those who
want slight purplish or brownish hue on top of the main black tone.

Does the slight hue shift by the toning improve resistance to
oxidative attack? I was curious, so without a need for any more words,
those test strips toned to various degrees were subjected to a bleach
test. All strips that exhibited at least slight purplish hue showed
significant resistance to the bleach attack. (I am not planning to do
peroxide fuming on this paper as I don't plan to routinely use this
paper.) However, if permanence is important to you, I highly recommend
you run tests with your paper developer and your toning solution.

Overall, the image quality was very good with rich black and bright
white. The was noticeably floppier than AGFA MCP, though this
shouldn't be a problem for careful darkroom workers.  I didn't have
mottling or fogging problem with this particular batch of OS VC RP
paper.

--
Ryuji Suzuki
"Keep a good head and always carry a light camera."