[pure-silver] Re: Oriental Seagull Papers

  • From: "Nicholas O. Lindan" <nolindan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:07:34 -0500

"Lloyd Erlick" <lloyd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
"Nicholas Lindan"
> Ink jet can't do _real_ shadows and possibly never will.
... could you elaborate a bit?

It's in the math, simplified it goes like:

Postulate a 300 pixel/inch printer laying down black ink at 3000 dots/inch.

Each pixel is 10 x 10 dots, or 100 dots/pixel.

If, for an otherwise all black pixel, we calculate:

White    Black   Reflects  OD
Pixels Pixels 0 100 0.01 2.00
  1      99     0.02      1.70
  2      98     0.03      1.53
  3      97     0.04      1.40
  4      96     0.05      1.30
  5      95     0.06      1.23
 10      90     0.11      0.96
100       0     1.00      0.00

There are only 3 tones between shadows at 1.3 OD and black.

And these 3 tones only exist in theory: All the printers I have tried can't leave one dot white in a sea of black.

The software that drives IJ printers gets around this by increasing the size of the dark pixels - lowering resolution, by using colored ink to make a grey so the print changes tones and/or color in different light, and dithering the dots so a uniform sea of grey pixels is a random sea of dots rather than an array of pixels with x dots in them.

Printers advertised for black and white have several shades
of grey ink and ink companies sell special black & white ink
sets.  'Photo Black' is becoming more common in printers.

--
Nicholas O. Lindan
Cleveland Engineering Design, LLC