[pure-silver] Opinions of Beseler Dichro 45S

  • From: "Samuel D. Stauffer" <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 04 Dec 2006 10:32:45 -0500

Recently my Oriental/ZBE variable contrast head, which I had installed on my Beseler 45 MX II, failed. ZBE no longer makes or supports this unit and no one seems to repair them, so I am looking for an alternative. I am inclined to go with the Beseler Dichro 45S color head and use it to expose variable contrast paper.

I am prepared to do the calibrations needed to use a color head as a variable contrast head if this light source is satisfactory in two areas of concern: (1) does it produce even light from edge to edge over the 4x5 image area, and (2) is the light bright enough for reasonable printing exposure times.

As a long-time lurker on this list, I have come to appreciate the opinions of many of you. Before making a purchase, I would appreciate hearing from current users of this light source about my above concerns.

Thank you in advance for your comments.

--Sam Stauffer
 Flint, Michigan