[pure-silver] Re: Old (very old) but already exposed film!

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jul 2005 17:08:55 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "DarkroomMagic" <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "PureSilverNew" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 04, 2005 3:32 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Old (very old) but already exposed film!

Does anyone have some experience with this?

I have been given some very old B&W 120 film (<1950?), which has been
exposed but never was developed. One is labeled ŒAdox R17¹, some are just
called ŒPerutz¹, and one is called ŒAgfa L Isopan¹. The owner assures me
that the content is of considerable importance to her and her family. I like
to give it a try and develop it for her, but I only have ID-11 and Rodinal
at the moment.

What is the best way to handle this? Any special treatment?

Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht

http://www.darkroomagic.com

Film from this period has reasonably stable latent images. The problem is not so much fog but changes that tend to erase the latent image. Since anti-fog agents also tend to suppress the latent image they are not much help with old _exposed_ films.
There are means to develop these but I don't have specific information. The technique is to use a very active developer, something along the lines of Kodak D-8 at very low temperatures. I think, but I don't know for cretain, that this si the method used by Greg Miller at Film Rescue International. Otherwise, a standard developer will work about as well as anything. Lee Soland suggested D-76. If you choose that use it full strength. A pinch of bromide, perhaps 0.5 gram per liter will suppress the slight fog that D-76 is prone to without disturbing the latent image.
Perutz made at least three films of differing speeds and grain, Adox was well known in this country for early thin emulsion films sold as KB-14 and KB-17, the numbers being the DIN speeds. Agfa used Isopan as a trade name for medium speed panchromatic film for decades. I don't know what L-Isopan is, here Agfa sold Isopan SS and ISS, probably the same stuff.
---