[pure-silver] Re: Old portrait technique?

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2008 15:50:16 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 7:41 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Old portrait technique?

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ray Rogers" <earthsoda@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, July 28, 2008 2:57 AM

blame the flu!

Correction:

I would say in general "Vignetting" is dodging
in such a way that results in printing in an oval or circular shape; there are many variations so dont get too hung up on the shape.

my flu confused me

Ray

However, vignetting is generally done in the reverse of the images described, that is, the image is cropped in an oval or circle with the outer part white. Burning in the corners is also common since the eye tends to focus more on the center of the image when the center of interst is the brightest part of the image.

---
I wrote this when I came home from work, something I should never do. Vignetting is done not only in the enlarger or contact printer but also in the camera. When done in the camera the result is as described: the subject is surrounded by black. There are a great many variations to vignetting in the camera. For instance one can use a translucent vignetting mask to get a gray surround rather than black. The edges of the vignetter control the hardness or softness of the mask just as in enlarging, serrated edges producing a softer effect. The distance from the lens to the mask also affects the definition of the vignetting. The same sort of attachment intended to hold diffusers can be used for vignetting and many such attachments were marketed over the years. On motion picture cameras these devices are often called matte boxes and can be quite elaborate. Usually the attachments for still cameras were simpler but but quite elaborate ones were sold.

---