[pure-silver] Re: Old Book

  • From: Chauncey Walden <clwaldeniii@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2019 18:52:53 -0700

Richard's post on old books got me digging in the racks. I found a 1936 copy of Elementary Photographic Chemistry by "Kodak" (no authors credited). 140 pages of some chemistry discussion (40 odd pages) and lots of formulas and whys and wherefores. Also found a 1903 copy of Picture Making for Pleasure and Profit by T Stith Baldwin. Has a chapter (towards the back) on enlarging on bromide paper and how to make an enlarger using mirrors to reflect sunlight into a room and using a folding camera as the enlarger. There are special instructions for Eastman's Royal Bromide paper. If you don't have a suitable window for daylight work or must work at night there are recommendations for using an "optical" lantern lit by kerosene, limelight, incandescent gas light, acetylene gas, or even (gulp) electricity. It goes on to suggest 5 different papers (4 of which are available in "hard" or "soft".
Chauncey