[pure-silver] Re: Oil/Solvent Immersion Enlarging

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Mar 2006 20:08:20 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jim Brick" <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 6:11 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Oil/Solvent Immersion Enlarging

Carlwen's liquid immersion film carriers (they made models to fit many enlargers) used a fluid called Decalin, which was made by Eastman Chemical Products, Inc. Decalin has a refractive index very similar to that of film. When you remove the film, the Decalin residue evaporates leaving no trace on the film. Twenty years ago I had one (35mm) that fit my Durst L1000 enlarger. The fluid was kept in a rubber bulb (like a lens dusting bulb) and you squeezed the fluid out and into the carrier - after the film was in place - and then when finished printing that neg, you take the carrier out, squeeze the bulb, tip up the carrier, and suck it back in. Worked like a champ!

That's all I know. It was at least twenty years ago so I'm stretching my poor old brain cells to remember this.

Jim

At 07:01 PM 3/2/2006 -0800, Peter De Smidt wrote:
So far I've had glycerin and silicone oil suggested. Dry cleaining fluid is still used in the wet gate process, but I don't want to mess with it at home. Thanks for all of the suggestions!

Decalin is still available. A web search turned up a lot of information about it but I can't find its index of refraction. It appears to be a somewhat hazardous substance but perhaps no worse than Naptha.

---