[pure-silver] Re: OT: Brumberger MF Slide Projector

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2004 21:52:04 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Malcolm & Sylvia Brickwood"
<m_s.brickwood@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, November 25, 2004 8:24 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] OT: Brumberger MF Slide Projector

> We've recently been given a MF slide projector which is
> something
> always wanted but never justified. It's a Brumberger Model
> 1406 and is
> fitted with a Brumberger Anastigmat coated 5" f/3.5 lens.
> Somehow it
> does not look very sharp either in absolute terms or
> compared with our
> Leica Colorplan-P2 1.25/90 (on a Leica Pradovit P600 IR
> actually). The
> optics on the Brumberger MF projector are bit dusty but
> nothing
> serious.
>
> Does anyone know what performance should be expected from
> this lens?
>
> Thanks -
> Malcolm Brickwood
> Santa Clara, CA

     My memory is that Brumberger was a rather low cost
projector. I have no idea who actually made the lenses or
what type they are but the poor performance is probably
normal. Remember, you are comparing it to a very high
quality projector.
     You may be able to discover the construction of the
lens by counting reflections. Even though the reflections
from single coated lenses are dimmer than those from
uncoated glass they are still pretty bright. If you see any
very dim reflections they are from a cemented interface. My
suspicion is that this is a triplet of some sort.

---