[pure-silver] New Book - Shameless Self Promotion!?

  • From: "Don Feinberg" <ducque@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Dec 2007 18:30:11 -0500

List,

I'd like to do a somewhat gentle, but still somewhat shameless
self-promotion...

I am just now publishing my first book. It is a photo-monograph on the
Eastern State Penitentiary, a nearly two-century old "fortress" of a prison
in Philadelphia.

Eastern State Penitentiary today is a "stabilized ruin". I had not been in
it for 10 minutes when I knew I simply had to do a monograph about it. The
form, the color, the line, ... is just amazing, fabulous!

But its history is just as fabulous. I think this place should be better
known than Alcatraz -- but hey, it's in Pennsylvania, not in San Francisco!

I have found so many contradictions -- I call my book "The Paradoxes of
Eastern State Penitentiary".

My book is 108 pages (sides), and includes 86 plates. It's pretty sizable --
8.5" x 11" / portrait format -- and is printed on heavy glossy stock. Hence,
those photos which are printed by themselves on a single side are pretty
good sized enlargements -- about 6.5 x 9.

All my work here is from film, shot on Fuji Superia, Agfa Optima, Ilford HP5
and Agfa 25. Though I'm ordinarily a rabid view-camera person, because I'm
currently "living away from home" everything was shot with Mamiya 645s, then
scanned and corrected.

All of the images are "as seen". Nothing in any image has been "created",
"added", or "subtracted". You would be able to see what I photographed, for
yourself, in Philadelphia. The only Photoshop work I did was dust cleaning,
cropping, exposure adjustment and color balancing, enlargement, and
sharpening.

I used a "perfect binding" to keep the costs down. Most of the images are
color, but all of the B&W are rendered in tritone and quadtone, so the book
is "all" in color.

I am ordering copies this week, and I'm trying to be as accurate as
possible, as I don't have high need for a roomful of unsold books! :-) :-)

I would be glad to send anyone who asks an image of the front and back
covers, and of a page or two from the inside.

The cover price of the book is $59.95 -- and at that, I don't make very much
money. I will sell many copies before I recover my costs here! :-)

Please don't hesitate to contact me, and thanks kindly for your interest.

Happy holidays to you!

Don Feinberg

donfeinberg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx