[pure-silver] NOSTALGIA LANE...

  • From: "bobkiss @caribsurf.com" <bobkiss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 11:39:36 -0400

DEAR LIST,

     From time to time I can't help taking a short walk down nostalgia lane
so I look at the books that were buried in the box with my father's
darkroom gear when he gave me permission to revive it and set it up.  He
insisted that I read them all before I could actually use the chems to
process film and make prints.  This was around 1962.  I have them right
here:

1) Modern Developing Methods from The Edwal Labs
2) Developing and Printing Made Easy from GAF (General Aniline and Film
Corp)
3) Everybody's Photo Course "A US Camera Book"
4) How To Make Good Pictures by Kodak

     They all show copyright dates of 1945-46, reminding me that my Dad
began this hobby soon after coming home from WW II, 5 years before I was
born.

     From our contemporary perspective, most of the example photos are
truly cheesy but there are also some lovely examples of late Pictorialism.
Also there are some interesting formulae which I haven't seen in later
volumes.  Anyhow, they bring me memories of my "yute" as My Cousin Vinny
said in the movie...

                       CHEERS!
                               BOB