[pure-silver] Re: My old film : Part 2 results

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 15:14:25 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: "Georges Giralt" <georges.giralt@xxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 6:08 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] My old film : Part 2 results

Hi All !
So, I've made contact prints of my AgfaPan 400 film expired in 1974... They're not bad. A little low on contrast, but nothing VC paper can't handle. One of the main drawbacks are FB+F density which is around 1.0 (.84 for the less dense neg, 1,05 for the densest) This is not too high given I've souped the negs in Rodinal 1+25 as per the instructions sheet found in the boxes. The subject was a flower vase on a whithe backgroup lit with a north facing window. On this area, the density is about 2.17 for the least dense and 2.5 for the densest neg. this give a range of 1.45 ~ 1.33 depending on the neg. Now my question : Do you think it is possible to reduce FB+F using benzotriazol
and if yes, how ?
Thanks a lot for your help and Merry Christmas to all !
--
Benzotriazole will reduce the fog but may not improve matters any. If the fog it uniform it mainly reduces the effective speed of the film. If the film was exposed in the past the anti-fog may destroy some of the latent image. Oxidation will also destroy some of the latent image so an anti-fog agent my be counterproductive. Where the film is unexposed the anti-fog will help reduce or eliminate background fog but at the expense of some speed. I've used plain Potassium bromide on some quite old Plus-X sheet film which was quite foggy without it but very usable with it. Speed was reduced to about EI-50. Contrast was about normal. I have some Agfa APX-100 sheet film of about the same age which is uselessly fogged despite the bromide. I have not tried it yet with Benzotriazole. Benzotriazole in general is a more effective anti-fog than bromide and effects both film speed and latent image less. The relative effectiveness of both agents depends on the pH of the developer.

---