[pure-silver] Re: Many more images, less meaning

  • From: John Bower <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 2 Dec 2012 07:22:13 -0500

A point semi-related to this topic: What will become of your negatives when you
die? Certainly family members will be high on your list, but they may not
always be the best choice.

My wife and I were updating out wills a while back, and I started looking
around. I ended up talking to three places interested in accepting them
(eventually). One was our state historical society. They have an outstanding
temperature and humidity controlled archive. The other two were university
archives, one of which has an wonderful storage facility, the other less so.
You should also check with large art museums, but I doubt if most local
historical societies would have storage facilities as good as large
institutions. Obviously, whether they will want to accept them (eventually)
will depend on a variety of factors (what subject matter you shoot, their
mission, etc.), but it is definitely worth looking into.

I remember when I was in college (in the olden days), my sister telling me that
Mom tossed out all the old family negatives because they were taking up room on
the shelf in the closet, and she figured no on would want to make prints from
them anymore. It happens too often.

--
John Bower, an Indiana Artisan
http://www.studioindiana.com/