[pure-silver] Re: Lensmen: 1919

  • From: Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2009 04:22:28 -0500 (EST)

-----Original Message-----

    They are 5x7 Speed Graphics. They are of the vintage known as top handle
Graphics to distinguish them from the later side handle models, which were
otherwise quite similar. The guy on the right seems to have moved the optical
finder from the right rear to the center, under the handle. That would have
cured some of the parallax. I am not sure if these cameras had wire finders
originally, if so they have been removed. The top handle would have interfered
with them so perhaps there were none.
     There is more information at http://www.graflex.org which will help date
these cameras.
     BTW, there is a story, probably apocraphal, which explains why Graflex
SLRs, once the standard press camera, was replaced by the Speed Graphic.
According to this story a photographer working for the New York Times was
killed covering an automobile race because he could not see an oncoming car
with his face in the hood. The Times ruled that no more Graflex cameras were to
be used. Could be but Graflex cameras did continue to be used along with Speed
Graphics well into the 'thirties. These fellows would probably have been using
5x7 glass plates.