[pure-silver] Re: Lens quality, filter degradation

  • From: Sauerwald Mark <mark_sauerwald@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 13:45:49 -0800 (PST)

Scott

I would contend that mounting the lens on a camera,
rather than a stable optical bench also degrades its
performance, as would use of the lens outdoors.  I am
certain that there are plenty of Rolleiflex Planars
which are exceptional lenses, and which have never
been used to generate an exceptional image - just as
there are many mediocre lenses which have generated
exceptional images.

The equipment that you use is meerly a tool to get the
image that you are trying to capture.  Better lenses
and filters will reduce the number of hard-to-control
artifacts, which may help you to get the image that
you want, or it may not.

If you are getting images that you are happy with
using your current setup, then you have the ideal
setup for you.