[pure-silver] Re: Kodak to stop making Cameras

  • From: "Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee" <michaelandpaula@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 07:47:16 -0500

The Kodak Master View lens board is 6x6 inches. Not small at all, Richard. We have five of Kodak Master Views plus one as a parts camera. I think the KMV is the best 8x10 view camera ever made. My first one, purchased in 1967 cost me $89.50. Those were the days.

We have had Kodak Master View lens boards made by a master machinist. We sell them for $125. They are made from aircraft aluminum and are better than the original boards. Over the years, we had lens boards made by a number of machinists, but none were ever really perfect until these. The machinists told me they originally copied the original board, but it wasn't quite perfect. They told me there is something about it that is more subtle than at first appears. They ended up making a tool to make the lens boards.

Michael

On 2/10/12 7:22 AM, Jean-David Beyer wrote:
Richard Knoppow wrote:

Hopefully the Kodak All-Metal View Camera and/or the Kodak 8x10
Master View. The first was essentially a metal version of the 2D with
some additional movements.  I passed one up a few years ago in a
complete kit except for lenses for $300 and have been kicking myself
ever since. I've never seen a Masterview for a price I could afford
or would have grabbed it. Its only limitation is a small lensboard,
at least for an 8x10. Kodak had some cameras built by Graflex and
some by the Century division. Kodak built some very nice cameras and
a lot of very superior lenses.

I have the Calumet CC-400 version of that. IIRC, I paid about $150 for
it. But I needed a 210mm f/5.6 lens, hand held light meter, film
holders, tripod, etc. So the system was quite a bit more in total.