[pure-silver] Re: Is your camera really in focus ?

  • From: Bernard <photodigitbc@xxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2012 14:57:32 +0200

Hello,

Digital and analog are very different here.
In most middle and high end digital reflex, there is a possiblity to correct and store focusing corrections for 20 lenses or about. The process is pretty strightforward, aim for infinity, camera on live view with magnification to make sure of focus and shoot.
Then one correct the af in the firmware until the good focus is achieved.

For analog, I have never dared touch anything, but I guess it's probably different for SLR and TLR and I only use SLR.

Best
Bernard

Le 30/03/2012 14:03, Peter Badcock a écrit :
Hi folks,

I have just spent the past couple of months off and on re-calibrating the focus on my Mamiya C330f TLR. I finally succeeded but needed precision instruments/tools (vernier callipers +dial gauge) to do this to what I consider an acceptable precision.

Due to the small tolerances required (usually better than 0.1mm), I can't help but think there are many cameras out there (both analog and digital) which are also not optimally calibrated either(for focus) due to being bumped, poor design or poor original manufacturing.

My lens is an 80mm f2.8, but if you have say an f1.4 or lower aperture, your depth of focus will be really tiny (like <0.1mm if you use 120 film or smaller) and your system could easily get knocked out of alignment.

What are your experiences with fixing focus issues and why aren't more people noticing these kind of problems.

thanks
Peter