[pure-silver] Re: Is the list dead?? NO!

  • From: Bogdan Karasek <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 14:28:51 -0400

Dana H. Myers wrote:
Bogdan Karasek wrote:

 Attached to the ball head, I have my Robot Star which when
the spring is wound, gives me 8-10 shots which I activate via a cable release taped to the handlebar. In the accessory shoe, I have a 45° viewfinder which a friend salvaged from an old Kodak Duoflex. Now, I can shoot while I am riding. I look down into the acc VF and this gives me a rough idea of the direction that the lens is pointing in and the image I will get. I preset the focus. With the ROBOT, I don't have to advance the film with every shot. I've tried the system with a 6x6 TLR and a 4x4 TLR, both with crank film advance. Works equally well.

That's pretty clever.  The cameras are tolerant of the vibration
you encounter while riding?

Dana

Hi Dana,

I usually shoot Tri-X, boosting to 800 EI, if I have to, in order to be able to shoot at 1/500 with the Robot attached to the handle bar. In Montreal and the island, we have an extensive network of bicycle paths which are well paved and I have shocks on my bike, so I have a success rate of about 50% (negs that are printable, vibration free), on average, depending on the speed I'm going at, smoothness of the paved path, etc. One of the best places is the Villeneuve Formula-1 racetrack on Île Notre Dame. Once the races are over, for the rest of the year, till October, the track is open to bicycles and rollerbladers. It's like riding on glass.... the epitome of smoothness.

The question has come up about camera security if you wipe out on your bike. I find that with the front bag attached to the handlebars and the second padded lunch bag inside that, two 6x6 TLR fit nicely (piece of styrofoam to separate the cameras). The advantage of having the bag on the handlebars is that if you fall, the bag will very rarely actually touch the ground. Don't forget, you have a triangle in front of you, the base is the length of the handlebars and the apex is the front wheel and your bag is inside that triangle so it would take exceptional circumstances for the bag to actually smash against the pavement or anything else. The problem with rear saddle bags is that if you fall, the saddle bags hit the ground first and the bike's rear wheel and back frame are on top of the saddle bag. For that reason, I only keep a small tripod (if I bring One), lunch, windbreaker, plastic poncho, suntan lotion, in the saddle bags.

I experimented with a bike I bought at a garage sale for $5.00. Put empty glass pop bottles in the saddle bags, the handle bar bag and deliberately made the bike fall on the driveway in various "wipe out" scenarios. The bottles in the saddlebags usually broke, the ones in the handle bar bag never broke.

Anyway, so far the system has worked for me. But I offer no guarantees ;) It's a great way of combining two activities.

Regards,
Bogdan
============================================================================================================= To unsubscribe from this list, go to www.freelists.org and logon to your account (the same e-mail address and password you set-up when you subscribed,) and unsubscribe from there.

  Bogdan Karasek
  Montréal, Québec                     bogdan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Canada                               www.bogdanphoto.com

                     "I bear witness"