[pure-silver] Image Protection

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 17:12:05 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "John" <jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, May 27, 2005 4:45 PM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: AgfaPhoto Insolvency

> On Fri, 27 May 2005 16:30:01 -0700, you wrote:
>
>>I've heard of that, but it's unobtainable in the US as far
>>as I can =20
>>tell.  The main reason I like Sistan over toning is I can
>>use it on =20
>>film; also that it doesn't require quite the same care
>>that the =20
>>toners I'm familiar with do.  If I can't get access to
>>Sistan I =20
>>probably won't be able to get access to Viradon either,
>>but KBT is =20
>>potentially practical; however, it will only be practical
>>for paper =20
>>as far as I know.  I know there was a lot of microfilm
>>research that =20
>>examined toning film in selenium toners, but I don't think
>>they cared =20
>>as much about the change in color as I would (since if the
>>emulsion =20
>>changes color it will change the effect of VC filters;
>>selenium's =20
>>intensifying properties would also be undesirable in a
>>negative).  =20
>>Thus my concern.
>>
>>If there's anywhere that imports Ag Guard into the US,
>>then I'd like =20
>>to hear about it as a contingency.
>>
>>Graham
>
> Anyone (besides me) consider Kodak GP-1 ? The change to
> the image is =
> insignificant
> if even observable.
>
> JD - www.puresilver.org

  GP-1 has been around for a long time and recommended by
Kodak for protecting prints. It probably works fine on film
too. Kodak has another, more elaborate toner for microfilm
(GP-2). I think the only drawback to Gold toners is cost.
There really is not that much Gold in GP-1, I have not
calculated what it cost to make and use.

---