[pure-silver] Re: ISO 4 Direct Positive Orthochromatic filmI

  • From: `Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2021 18:45:02 -0700

   DK-50 is not a particularly contrasty developer. D-19 was originally designed for X-Ray film and is quite contrasty. However, one can find much more contrasty developer for photo mechanical work like Kodak D-8 and D-11. I have no idea if these are suitable. I don't remember what D-90 is, I though perhaps a late motion picture positive developer. The usual routine for motion pictures is to process the negatives to quite low contrast and the prints to quite high contrast. There is a difference in the negatives for sound; for variable density sound the negatives are quite low contrast, on the order of the image negatives, for variable width, AKA variable area, the negatives are very high contrast. However, all B&W release prints are high contrast regardless of the sound tracks.

On 10/17/2021 3:39 PM, BOB KISS (bobkiss) wrote:

DEAR JANET,

I don't presume to have "mastered" S0-132 but I have some suggestions.

1) Use the most contrasty developer you can find.I tried DK 50but too weak.Then D-19 and later another Kodak dev named D-90something that was supposed to be the most contrasty thing since Lith devs.

2) It seems to me that there is no such thing as over exposure!LOL!!!To get ANY areas thin enough to print as shadows you have to REALLY expose that stuff.

3) Don't be shy about using a bleach such as Farmer's Reducer (Potassium ferricyanide and sodium thiosulfate) to clean out those shadow areas.Of course, you have to do it JUST enough to allow the shadow areas to be thin enough to print but not so much that you lose texture (a.k.a. image info) in those shadows.

4) Be ready for looooooooooooooooong exposures for most alt processes.

I did some and they worked but, as soon as I learned to scan negs, image process the files, and print diginegs on my epson, I left the remaining SO-132 in my freezer.

CHEERS!

BOB