[pure-silver] Re: IR pin hole photography

  • From: Tony Wingo <akw@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:16:55 -0800

>Thank you Mike. I wanted to use 120 film. So, I guess I'll use Maco's 820ir.
>I took apart an old 69 folder today and will use it for a pinhole camera. I
>like taking things apart to see how they work and needed an excuse
>to take apart
>a camera. It was fun to see how everything was put together in layers. I need
>some smaller screwdrivers!
>What have you used for your pinholes? Copper? Tin? ........ ?

Go to the grocery store and get an aluminum pie tin. They are cheap
and a good grade for pinholes. Use the sewing needle to make the hole
and then deburr it with fine sand paper.  The book _Pinhole
Photography, Rediscovering a Historic Technique_ by Eric Renner has
good information on making (and measuring) your own pinholes.

For my infrared pinhole camera I actually bought a laser-drilled
pinhole from Lenox Laser <http://www.lenoxlaser.com>, though
admittedly that takes some of the "homebrew" fun out of it.

>I was thinking that I'd buy a jell filter #87 and cut a small bit to put over
>or behind my pinhole. What do you think? Do you foresee any troubles with
>this plan?

Yes, put it directly behind (or in front of) the pinhole.

Have fun.

Oh, and Happy Thanksgiving to all on the list.
--

-tony

San Leandro, CA

http://www.shapesandshadows.com