[pure-silver] Re: Humidity Controlled Storage

  • From: Jacques Augustowski <py1hy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2011 23:19:17 +0000

 Hi Bob,I live in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. You are correct about salt
water, salt spray is terrible, you must be living at least above the
tenth floor to reduce the effects of salt spray.. Sweaty hands or
fingers touching the shutter blades will corrode them. I take great
care in  mounting large format lens on lens boards. I often wipe light
oil  embedded on a felt pad over the cameras and lenses, sparingly. I
never put oil on shutters or curtains, they need special lubricants,
often graphite. Also I don't keep cameras and lenses in leather
containers/bags, leather is nice but very hygroscopic, I only put my
equipment in leather cases when I travel. In tropical climates it is
best to leave all your apparel exposed to free moving air than in a
closet, it is better to clean the dust over your lenses than throwing
away your lenses because of fungus. I stay away from salt spray, if I
have  to photograph surf, I protect my cameras with plastic bags, only
the front of the lens is exposed. I still have my Nikon F2 and my
Leica M3 working.all the best,Jacques
        DEAR ERIC,

                    As I also have lived in a tropical country for 18 years
(Barbados) I agree completely with Jacques.  A box with small heater
can help but warmth introduces its own possible troubles.  The best,
as Jacques said, is either an air conditioner or dehumidifier.  All
three of my A/Cs have a dehumidifying setting.  It uses less
electricity than the cooling function, doesn’t cool the room as
much, but definitely lowers the humidity…I have a hygrometer and the
A/C on either cool or dehumidify function bring the rel hum below 50%.

                    I bet that the reported rusting of the Leica shutter
blades came from someone living near the sea where there is a LOT of
salt in the air.  Even here, A/C works best.

                    As I keep my office and dkrm at 75F and 50% rel hum, the
small fogging on the lenses when I take them outside lasts about 3
minutes and is clear from then on.  Small price to pay to prevent
fungus etching the coatings and surfaces of my lenses.

                    Lastly, as I store a lot of finished prints in my office,
I can’t use the heater option.

                                MERRY HO-HOs & HAPPY NEW-NEWs!

                                            BOB

        PS: Jacques, where in the tropics do you live?