[pure-silver] Help Solve A Mystery: Photographer "A. Gubcevsky"

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jul 2015 16:57:00 -0500

I am looking for any biographical info on this photographer. I believe he
shot in Eastern Europe (Czechoslovakia, Ukraine...) in the early part of the
20th Century.

I am in possession of two silver photographs by this person. The first
of a 4 girls sitting at a table in a semi-formal portrait. They
appear to be children of means and are wearing what I'd call "dressy"
clothing of Ukraine or Poland in that era.

The other one is a real stunner. A carriage pulled by 3 dappled horses
driven by what look like Cossacks and some sort of Prince/Czar and his
wife in the carriage behind. It's not impossible this is Czar Nicholas II
who was executed in the 1918 Russian Revolution as I recall.

Anyway, these are fascinating and figuring out their subjects would be
a real thrill. My family emigrated from Ukraine some time prior to the
Revolution. These two prints have been handed down from my grandparents
to my parents to me, so they have some so they have some significant
sentimental value.

If anyone is an expert (or knows one), I'd be happy to scan, though I wonder
if that bright light would be good for prints going on 100 years old.

As an aside, the prints are flawless with no yellowing or signs of age
whatsoever.