[pure-silver] Re: Graded Fiber Photo Papers Today

  • From: Tim Daneliuk <tundra@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2013 11:21:12 -0600

On 01/13/2013 02:53 PM, richard lahrson wrote:
Hi!

      Looking at the available market in graded fiber photo papers
there's still a number
of choices.  There's the warmer tone Fomabrom FB 2,3 and 4.  Also Fotokemika's
Emaks FB K-888 glossy in 2, 3 and 4 grades.  Ilford's got Galerie now
only in grades
2 and 3.  In contact speed there's Lodima in 2 and 3 as well as Fomabrom's
Fomalux FB III in grade 2 only.  Then there's David Lewis's Bromoil paper that
is unique in being non-supercoated for the Bromoil process, but can be
used for silver enlargements as well, available in grade 2 and 8x10 only.

      I was surprised there's a dozen!  I've only used Galerie and
would welcome experiences with these lesser known.

I've been meaning to comment on this ...

I was a huge fan of the original Zone VI graded papers.  The surface
and tooth of those papers was like nothing I'd ever seen in some 30 years
of printing and those charcoal blacks were just spectacular.  When
Calumet bought Zone VI and switched the paper to some reboxed major
brand, I thought I'd never see good paper again.

In the mean time, I learned - really learned - how to split print VC Papers
properly.  Guess what?  I wouldn't go back to graded papers (for most things
anyway) on a bet.  The expressive power of VC split printing is
something you simply cannot reasonably achieve with a graded paper.  The
ability to have effectively different contrast grades in different
portions of the print opens up a whole new level of interpretation.

I am told that Bergger brought back the Zone VI graded stuff under their
own brand - or at least the formulation, though I never looked into it.

All that said, what I still miss is that surface and tooth of that Zone VI
stuff.  I've never seen anything like it.  If I could get a VC paper with
that heavy weight and tooth, I'd be in print heaven.

Just my .000000002 cents worth ...