[pure-silver] Glass versus Plastic containers for liquid concentrates

  • From: Peter Badcock <peter.badcock@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 23:08:10 +1000

I have recently purchased enough AGFA chemistry to last me at least 10 years
at my current rate of consumption. They all came in plastic bottles (HDPE).
Other postings have mentioned the idea of transferring the liquids to amber
glass bottles and then sealing out the air with a squirt of protectan. I
really only want to do this if someone can give me a good reason to. For
example, does plastic allow oxygen to pass? As it is I will already have
them in a small refrigerator (cold and no light).

 FWIW, the products I purchased are Rodinal (yeah I know it lasts forever -
but in a plastic bottle - they used to come in glass), Neutol Plus and
Sistan.

 So is there *any disadvantage *to keeping my liquid chemical concentrates
in their original plastic containers?

 regards

Peter