[pure-silver] Re: Faint density marks

  • From: jeffrey <puresilver@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2004 06:41:16 -0800

I don't think they're surge marks. They do not correspond to (line up
with) the sprocket holes, but are much narrower and often do not
extend to the very edge of the image. When they appear, I rarely see
more than one in a given frame. I have sometimes wondered if they
were related to static electricity discharge, when the roll suddenly
unwinds upon leaving the cassette.

I have had the sprocket-hole surge mark problem in the past. My
experience was that I almost always got them if I under-agitated.
Making my agitation more vigorous eliminated them.

Changing dilution is not an option, if I want to continue with this
developer. If this problem were common to most of my rolls, I would,
indeed, look elsewhere for a developer (probably Rodinal, though D-76
is pretty dependable).