[pure-silver] Re: FW: Freestyle Industry Snapshot - February 2012

  • From: Bogdan <bkarasek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Feb 2012 14:44:13 -0500

Hi all,

Does that mean that I can stop filling the freezer with Tri-X ;) I can sleep easy now.

But what about D-76 and the other chemistry we are so used to? No mention is made in the newsletter.

Anyway, Adrienne, thanks for the upbeat e-mail.

Cheers,
Bogdan K

On 2/7/2012 2:28 PM, Adrienne Moumin wrote:
I thought some of you might be interested in the Freestyle Photo
Supplies e-newsletter I just received.

All best,
Adrienne Moumin
***************************************
B&W photographs and photo-collages: www.picturexhibit.com
<http://www.picturexhibit.com/>
Photos @ Saatchi Gallery: www.tinyurl.com/hw6r3
<http://www.tinyurl.com/hw6r3>
Handmade jewelry: www.droolerystore.com <http://www.droolerystore.com/>
***************************************

From: emailc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: ADRIENNE MOUMIN adrienne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Freestyle Industry Snapshot - February 2012
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 11:40:32 -0800

Freestyle Newsletter - February 2012

Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser
<http://www.freestylephoto.biz/industry-updates/february-2012/snapshot.html>.

        Eric Joseph

/Senior Vice President Merchandising and Product Development/

        Dear Valued Freestyle Customer,

The recent announcement by Eastman Kodak Company that they have
voluntarily applied for Chapter 11 restructuring comes at no surprise.
This is a situation that has been brewing for quite some time and we
have received many calls and emails from customers voicing their concern
over the future of silver-halide, traditional photographic materials. We
have never relied too heavily on any single supplier for our future. As
opposed to what you are reading in the media, interest in Film, Wet
Darkroom and Historical Photographic Processes is not declining. If it
were, Freestyle would very quickly be forced to change course, focusing
its efforts on other products. The media tends to dwell on the negative,
ignoring the details of a situation to deliver quick sound bites that
will capture your attention.
Here are some facts to consider:

   1. Kodak's sales in their film division increased 20% last year, and
      this division continues to be a profitable segment. They have
      billions of dollars in assets. Citicorp Group just gave them $950
      million to help fund their restructuring efforts which will
      continue for 18 months.
      Sounds like Kodak will be around for a while longer and that
      Citicorp is pretty sure they are going to get their money back
      with interest. The film division seems to be doing quite well and
      may even prosper under new management as a separate entity.
      Regardless of what happens, Freestyle is prepared to make a
      sizable investment in product to keep important products available
      for years to come.
   2. Kodak film is not the only brand of product Freestyle sells. While
      Kodak is an important and high volume supplier of ours, in
      actuality, we do more business individually with Harman
      Technologies in Ilford Brand B&W Film and Paper, Foma, Fotokemika
      and Adox brands. These brands are totally committed to continuing
      manufacturing for the foreseeable future and have absolutely no
      plans to stop production as sales continue to be quite robust.
      They have already taken necessary steps to restructure their
      facilities for long term survival.
   3. As individual items have been discontinued over the years, folks
      have adapted to the ever changing product selection and have
      continued creating their art and means of photographic self
      expression. While we are to some extent limited by the
      availability of products it by no means hinders creativity.

Hopefully some of these thoughts will reassure those who are nervous.
Know that Freestyle continues to be THE driving force in traditional
photographic products and that our commitment is stronger than it has
ever been.
Sincerely,
Eric Joseph
ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx <mailto:ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Inkodyes

        Easy-to-Use
        Photo Sensitive Dyes
        (No Darkroom Necessary!)

Here it is! The newest and neatest thing since sliced bread! Inkodyes is
taking the photographic and art market by storm. This photo sensitive
VAT dye can be coated on fabric, paper, wood, leather or any porous
material. Just coat in subdued light (no darkroom necessary), expose to
sunlight/UV and wash. Currently available in three colors, this
easy-to-use product is great for beginners and professionals alike. Just
think of it as Liquid Light in colors and easier to use. See our website
for details and instructional video.
See our short video on Inkodyes...
<http://www.freestylephoto.biz/inkodyes.php?sc=22007&utm_source=inkodyes&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=feb-newsletter>

Holga iPhone 4/4s Cases!

        Turn Your iPhone
        into a Holga

Now this is a product everyone with an Apple iPhone 4/4s should have!
Simply snap this baby on the back of your phone and you have instant
access to a full array of analog (non-digital) filter effects for your
camera phone. Choose from a variety of split image, colors, macro lens
and color surround filters. Check out the creative effects you can do
with these filters. Try these filters on stills and video! You will love
it and you must have it!
View all iPhone Holga Lens Cases...
<http://www.freestylephoto.biz/holga-iphone-lens.php?sc=22007&utm_source=iphone&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=feb-newsletter>

Book Of Pyro is Back!

        Book Of Pyro is Back!

During the night of Gordon Hutchings Freestyle Gallery show, we sold out
of all copies of his famous Book of Pyro. Gordon wasn't planning to
print any more copies which sold 20,000 copies in its first printing. We
literally twisted his arm and convinced him to print more as there were
many people who were very disappointed that they weren't able to
purchase a copy before it went out of print. So we are proud to
re-introduce The Book of Pyro! Each copy is personally signed by Gordon.
The Book of Pyro...
<http://www.freestylephoto.biz/2006-The-Book-of-Pyro-by-Gordon-Hutchings?sc=22007&utm_source=pyro&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=feb-newsletter>

New Advisory Board Member Wayne Martin Belger

        Welcome Wayne Martin Belger - New Advisory Board Member

Wayne represents that bold artist who thinks "outside of, but in the
box" adding to our vocabulary of what photography could be. Personally
constructing his many custom tooled pinhole cameras out of precious
materials and found objects that relate to the specific theme and
subject matter that he photographs, Wayne creates an ideological,
physical, and emotional connection to his art.
Read Wayne Belger's Bio...
<http://www.freestylephoto.biz/belger.php?sc=22007&utm_source=begler&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=feb-newsletter>

Follow on Twitter <http://twitter.com/FreestylePhoto1> | Like Us On
Facebook <http://www.facebook.com/FreestylePhoto>