[pure-silver] Re: Dry Mounting

  • From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 10:46:31 -0400

<quote who=Richard Knoppow date=[09/06/2006 16:43]/>
> Here is a summary of the Seal method of dry mounting.

   Hi Richard,

   First and foremost, Thank You. It's very much appreciated.

   If you don't mind, I am going to put up your procedure on my website.
I'll let you know when I am done.

   I think I found your original post here:

//www.freelists.org/archives/pure-silver/03-2005/msg00241.html

   I was Googling for something else and it came up.

   The press I got is a Seal 200 Commercial. It came with a HUGE unused
roll of tacking paper. More then I could ever want. If anyone needs any,
let me know.

   The press works fine. It has two lights on it. One is red, the other
is green. The red blinks when the press is under tension. The green
appears to go on when the element is on (but I'm not entirely sure). I
don't think the dial is too accurate since when I set it to 190F or so,
the light never goes on.. So I assume it's not heating. Anyhow, I'll
have to play with it..

   I have a few questions.

   You spoke of Kraft paper. I Googled for this and it's basically brown
envelope paper. Is this correct ?

   Second, finding release paper is nearly impossible. I found two shops
that have it here in town but they won't sell it to me. My only chance
is to buy lots of mat board and then ask them for a sheet.

    Freestyle has some, but it's going to cost me $50 or so for a roll.
I did some more Googling on this and someone said they use "cooking
paper" which is the paper used to keep your cookies from sticking to the
pan. Would this work as well ?

     My real goal for buying this press isn't to mount prints but to
flatten them. You mentioned that it's possible to flatten wet prints in
a press. I assume I should not be using any heat at all. What do I
sandwich the print to, so that it doesn't stick to everything ?

     I ran a few flattening tests with some prints and they seem to curl
as soon as they come out of the press. Is this because there is too much
heat, not enough or is it just because I have to drop something heavy on
it while it cools ?

   Thanks again,

Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx