[pure-silver] Digital Negs was Grain (RE: Re: Grain)

  • From: "Eric Neilsen Photography" <eric@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 23:40:35 -0600

First Grain is in my mind an essential part of a photograph just like dots
are to a digital print or negative. It is in how you use them that either
make them a distraction or a vital part of the image.

Dan, who happens to live close by, has been adding his tiny tutorials to his
site. I believe in an attempt to stay current. AS the authors on the list
can attest to, keeping current in the photo industry with a book is not so
easily done.

The latest generation digital printers have brought us to the door step of
being able to make reasonably good contact printing negatives for silver or
alternative processes; free of some of the artifacts of the past but also
introducing new ones. In my early test with Pictorico OHP and a 4800, I
believe that I'll be able to keep making nice silver gelatin images even
without an enlarger if need be. I have on hand the UCF from Photo Ware house
but I need to cut that down as it is on a 24" roll from my 7000.

That being said, I was back in the darkroom today, negative in the enlarger
with Berggers' premium silver paper. This is for a customer that wants his
prints on this paper. I did a quick test with selenium toning and noticed
that it cools rather than reddens. Has anyone used this paper? Flaws?

I thought that I saw a typical phantom line in a early test print, but it
could have been a particle from a tray.

Digital is a lot like silver; testing, testing, testing.  Then the favorite
is discontinued and you begin, testing, testing, testing. : )

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street
Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226