[pure-silver] Re: Developer and Neg Density

  • From: "Richard Knoppow" <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2006 15:26:18 -0700

----- Original Message ----- From: "Martin Jangowski" <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 25, 2006 1:42 AM
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: Developer and Neg Density

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Adrienne Moumin wrote:

However, I am still confused about the comment in your prior post in response
to Mark's:

"You can loose nearly one stop by developing in either Kodak Microdol-X or
Ilford Perceptol (they are identical). When used full strength these
extra-fine-grain developers loose about 3/4 stop when compared to D-76. The
results will be normal contrast negatives."

in light of your more recent one in repsonse to my post:

"Standard developers will all deliver the same contrast if the development
time is correct. "

Contrast and density are two different beasts. You can expose a film with
a given exposure and give it normal development in a standard developer
like D76/ID-11. The result will be a negative with a normal contrast and
densities ranging from nearly clear film in the deepest shadows and
maximum density in the highlights.

You can double the exposure from above and use Perceptol or Microdol-X.
This will give you negatives like above (normal contrast, densities
from nearly clear to maximum density) but with finer grain.

It is impossible to underexpose a film and get normal densities and
contrast with special developers or longer development. All you'll get is
empty shadows and raised contrast.

Grüße aus Hohenlohe,

 Martin Jangowski

| Martin Jangowski E-Mail: Martin@xxxxxxxxxxxx|
| Netzwerke und Multimedia |
| Voice: +49 7946/940790 Fax: +49 7946/940791 |
| Snail Mail: Von-Olnhausen Str. 4 74626 Bretzfeld Germany |

I'm not sure what the current theory is to explain the variation of film speed with developer type. The old explanation for loss of speed with extra fine grain developers is that they rely on the solvent effect of sulfite to change the formation of metallic silver crystals from the silver halide. The idea was that if there is enough solvent it will strip away some of the latent image. A small amount of solvent action, as in D-76, raises film speed slightly by making more development centers available to the developer. This does not explain developers that increase film speed, like Xtol, T-Max, DDX, etc, usually those containing Phenidone in some form. Perhaps Ryuji can bring us up to date on this.
In any case, film speed is measured by specifying a certain range of density which represents a certain range of exposure. If one looks at a characteristic curve, which plots exposure against density, the entire curve slides toward the left for increased speed or to the right for decreased speed (assuming the usual convention of the exposure scale increasing from left to right). The slope of the curve is the contrast. The contrast is variable in normal pictorial negatives because the film is seldom, if ever, developed to its maximum density or contrast. When development is reduced to reduce the slope of the curve (again representing contrast) the densities all change too unless a compensating change in exposure has been given.
Since a condenser light source tend to increase all densities, it is equivalent to increasing the slope of the curve. When this is compensated for in development the highest density in the negative which is usable (highlight with some detail) will appear to be lower when the negative is examined by diffuse light. That is, when a negative is adjusted for a condenser source both the slope of the characteristic curve AND the maximum density will be lowered. An increase in exposure is necessary to keep the lowest densities from becoming too low. Since the effect of the condenser source is relatively less for the low densities, and, because the condenser source will also increse the contrast of most negative blemishes, the minimum density becomes important.
The important thing is that, assuming a straight line characteristic, density at all points is a function of exposure, the slope of the "curve" remains the same. Varying development will also change density at all points but not equally, so the slope of the curve, which again represents contrast, changes.
Sensitometry is the study of how emulsions respond to light and the relation of the exposure to the final image. While it is a very complex science its elements are fairly simple. I think they are important to understand for anyone intending to do serious work with the photographic process. The best simplified presentation of sensitometry (which includes densitometry) I've found is in the old Kodak B&W film brochures. There is a similar good explanation of the printing side of this in the old Kodak paper booklets. I don't think Kodak publishes these any more but they show up in used book stores occasionally.
I will add that printing paper is nearly always developed to close to its maximum density, so the contrast is fixed by the nature of the emulsion. This would probably be true of film too if it was always developed for its maximum density, that is, the contrast would also be at the maximum the film was capable of. This difference is why film can be varied over a wide range of contrast while printing paper can not (actually it can if you settle for weak blacks). Note that the variation in contrast in variable contrast paper comes from having two or more emulsion components which can be exposed selectively by the use of color filters rather than by any variation of development.
Some of this is pretty elementary but nonetheless seems to get overlooked making it the cause of considerable confusion.

---