[pure-silver] Re: Densitometer for print exposure calibration

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 09:32:01 -0600

I have bought two transmission densitometers from Ed Pass in NYC: 212-333-7474. both still work fine. One was an older analog densitometer with a sort of dial that moves, and the other one displays numbers when you read the negative or step tablet. The company is called Pass and Co, 1841 Broadway, NYC.

When I need the densities of a paper test to be read, I mail it to the View Camera Store. It only costs $5 to have paper densities read. But I don't really think it's necessary. Just print the step tablet, see what step prints next to black and which one prints almost white, read the densities of those steps on the densitometer, and subtract, to get an approximation of the paper scale.

--shannon

On Nov 10, 2007, at 8:02 AM, vellum wrote:

Shannon's interesting thread about multigrade paper has made me want to
test my enlarger and paper to better understand it and calibrate my
system.  It's something I've never done before.  I'm fuzzy on some of
the concepts and what they really mean, like Log Exposure Range, but
I'll figure it out as I go.

I have a Jobo Colorstar 3000, but I don't have the B&W density probe for
it.  I just have the standard color probe.

What densitometers might be the best candidates for B&W print exposure
densitometry if I were shopping used on ebay?  I'd rather buy a new one
but I suspect new ones may be costly.  Ease of use on the enlarging
easel and accuracy (or consistency) would be priority.  An exposure
timer function would be nice, but not essential.

Ability to use it to measure density of negatives would be nice too.  I
develop using both MQ and pyro developers. Having one densitometer that
"does it all" would be cool, but probably there may be none that do
everything well.  In that case, it is the printing densitometry that
matters most to me.

Skip.